By Tara Luxmore
Let’s talk about the Brew Box Company. The Toronto-based startup has grown from a couple of young tech whizzes and brew lovers shipping beer from their basement, to a thriving beer-subscription business with over 800 members. Customers can choose between subscriptions to single breweries, including Beau’s, Collingwood, Silversmith and Sawdust City, or the mixed Brewscovery Box, a rotating selection of bottles from some of Ontario’s far-flung breweries.
Here’s 5 things I dig about the Brew Box:
- Access to beer (without leaving home!)! 95% of the beers that ship are only available on tap and at the brewery. It’s not easy to get to a bar or drive out to breweries with my tot in tow so I loved being able to taste some of the harder to get one-offs.
- The tasting notes and brewery backgrounds are informative, well-written and consistent (they’re researched and penned by Brew Boxes’ in-house writers).
- You’ve got mail! The cost is reasonable, for craft beer being delivered to your FRONT DOOR. For $65.54 (all in, per month, with a years subscription) you get around four litres of beer. It sounds like a lot of cash to lay down, but I think of it like the cost of a dinner and pints for two at my local.
- Members-only? Yes please. Get access to special events, like the upcoming brew day at 5 Paddles in Whitby, they’ll ship you the beer you brewed afterwards.
- A panel of beer people, including Cicerones and Prud’hommes, taste the beers beforehand and handpick what goes in each box. Hey, can I get in on this action?
Want to win a Brewscovery box? We’ve got two up for grabs. The contest closes on July 3rd, we’ll pick a winner at random.
To enter doing one or all of the following (the more you do, the more chances you have to win!):
- Like the Experience Beer page on facebook.
- Leave us a comment about why you’d like to try mail order beer.
- Tweet a link to our monthly newsletter asking people to sign up.
- Follow us on Instagram @crystalluxmore and @tluxmore
Contest rules: you must be 19 years of age or older, must reside in Ontario with an Ontario address (please note the Brew Box can only be shipped to Ontario addresses).