We hosted our second Beer Sisters’ Beer Book Club at Rainhard Brewing Co. in April.
As part of our #BeerGoals for 2017, we started a beer book club for two reasons: as motivation to read through our huge beer book collections, and as an opportunity to talk with and learn from our beer industry peers and beer-loving pals.
We were lucky to get a guided tasting of Rainhard’s spectacular IPAs from the brewer himself, Jordan Rainhard.
We read beer scribe Josh M. Bernstein’s Complete IPA book (with some Canuck mentions like Great Lakes Brewery, Le Castor, Central City, Bellwoods and more), then chatted with him via Skype afterwards.
Here’s a few highlights from the evening:
- Jordan Rainhard’s brewing philosophy is all about beer freshness— always drink the freshest stuff first! He likes to make sure brews like Kapow, Armed ‘n Citra & Lazy Bones are imbibed within 4-5 weeks of packaging to ensure the hop flavour is at its best.
- Jordan changes up his recipe depending on hop availability to ensure freshness and balance.
- Pick up his award winning beers, like Sweetback’s Milk Stout, Kapow, Lazy Bones, & Armed ‘n Citra at the brewery.
Josh M. Bernstein shared some of the hottest new IPA trends with our Beer Book Club via Skype — we talked Lupulin powder, brewery districts in every major city, and more. Get his book it’s awesome.
Thanks to Derek & Jordan for hosting us, and Josh for taking the time to chat.
Our next meeting is Tuesday June 20th, we would love it if you’d join us. Please email Tara to RSVP!
Beer Book Club Meeting 3: Tuesday June 20th 2017
Book: Updated Ontario Craft Beer Guide (drops May 20th), by Robin LeBlanc and Jordan St John
Venue: Tequila Bookworm Upstairs
- Authors Robin LeBlanc and Jordan St. John will join us for a lively discussion
- Flights of Ontario Craft Brews
Beer Book Club Meeting 4: Tuesday August 15th 2017
Book: The Comic Book Story of Beer, written by Jonathan Hennessey, Mike Smith and illustrated by Aaron McConnell
Venue: Rorscharch Brewing Co.
Sign up sheet to come!
Beer Book Club Meeting 5: Tuesday October 17th 2017
Book: Cheese & Beer, by Janet Fletcher
Venue: Crystal’s Pad
- Partner up with a book club pal to bring a cheese and beer pairing to talk about and taste together
Beer Book Club Meeting 6: Tuesday November 21st 2017
Book: Vintage Beer, by Patrick Dawson – Barrel Aged / Cellaring Beer
Venue: Bellwoods Hafis Road Brewery
- Bring your favourite cellared beer to share with the group
- Barrel room tour with Bellwoods Staff