So what exactly do two beer sommelier sisters and writers do for a living? That’s a question we get a lot.
When we’re not writing about beer, we’re spreading the good beer gospel through staff training, private and corporate tastings, at beer festivals, and by partnering with folks like the Barley Council of Canada.
Straight up guided beer tastings are alright — but what we really love is to use beer in new ways to challenge and inspire Canadians to explore more beer styles and varieties. We’ve built Blind Tasting Challenges, a Beer-cathalon, Beer Sensory Bars and more.
We’re really psyched about the opportunities we’ve had so far this year, so we thought we’d share some highlights with you:
- Crystal brought “Luxy’s Beer-cathalon” back to Because Beer in Hamilton, educating festival attendees about beer basics (She’ll be at Beau’s Oktoberfest this year too!).
- We ran a one-day beer training session for 25 Canada’s Wonderland bartenders.
- This summer, Sleeman asked Crystal to be a judge for their Railside Ale campaign to select two friends to rep the new brand on a railroad tour this summer (You can follow the winning pair’s adventures here) . Her task? Design a beer tasting challenge. Take a look at what she did:
- We designed two Beer + Cheese Sensory Bars at a Cocktail Reception for Osler LLP, and hosted a Beer + Slider Pairing for Tory’s LLP.
- Tara hosted a guided tasting of “Beers to Drink This Summer” featuring Durham region beers at the Franklin Club.
- Crystal worked with the Barley Council of Canada to host four “Grower to Glass” Beer and Barely pairing events for media in four Prairie cities, working with chefs to pair their menus with barley-forward brews from across the country.